PENNSYLVANIA'S #1 WEEKLY NEWSPAPER • locally owned since 1854

'You don’t deserve to be called human': convicted child molester Hoffa gets long prison term

By Dan Miller

Posted 3/4/20

“Monster” was the nicest thing victims of Keith Alan Hoffa had to say about him during his sentencing in Dauphin County Court on Wednesday afternoon.

“You don’t deserve to …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Log in

'You don’t deserve to be called human': convicted child molester Hoffa gets long prison term


“Monster” was the nicest thing victims of Keith Alan Hoffa had to say about him during his sentencing in Dauphin County Court on March 4.

“You don’t deserve to be called human,” one victim said, referring to Hoffa, formerly of North Geyers Church Road in Londonderry Township, as “a slithering snake … the lowest scum on the bottom of the ocean floor are too good to be categorized with you.”

When it was Hoffa’s turn to say something to the multiple victims in the courtroom whom Hoffa had been convicted of sexually abusing over more than 20 years, he did not face them or say anything to them, despite being given  chances to do so by Judge Deborah Curcillo.

Instead, Hoffa sought to bring up what he contended were injustices allegedly perpetrated against him during and since his trial in December, when Curcillo found him guilty of 21 charges of sexual molestation involving five underaged victims from 1995 to 2016.

Several victims had requested Curcillo impose the maximum sentence on Hoffa. Two victims said Hoffa had already been given a second chance and blown it, after being convicted in 1998 in Dauphin County Court of aggravated indecent assault.

“Some people believe a person can change. He didn’t change,” one victim said.

Not only did Hoffa continue sexually abusing young girls after being freed the first time, he still shows no remorse, another victim said. “He still doesn’t get what he did was wrong. He is a menace to society. Both of us know he deserves to die in prison.”

“I hope someone takes you as a cellmate and makes you their wife,” the father of one of the victims told Hoffa.

Hoffa, who turns 56 in May, will die in prison if Curcillo’s sentence is allowed to stand.

Dismissing pleas from Hoffa’s lawyer that Hoffa be allowed to serve his time concurrently, Curcillo imposed consecutive sentences against Hoffa that add up to a minimum of 63 years in state prison, and up to a maximum of 126.

Curcillo also sentenced Hoffa to multiple years of supervised probation, also to be served consecutively — but only after his prison sentence.

Hoffa’s attorney, criminal defense lawyer Gregory Mills, was only appointed to represent Hoffa six weeks ago, after Hoffa filed a federal lawsuit where he brought up a number of allegations concerning the handling of his case by Dauphin County, including the “ineffective assistance” of his legal counsel.

Hoffa devoted his remarks before being sentenced to complaints he has been prevented from communicating with the outside world while in Dauphin County Prison.

Curcillo assured Hoffa and Mills that Hoffa’s right to communicate with Mills would not be restricted.

Citing the short amount of time he has had to represent Hoffa, Mills requested Curcillo extend by two more weeks the amount of time that he has to file post-sentence motions on Hoffa’s behalf. Such motions normally must be filed within two weeks of the sentence being imposed.

Curcillo granted the request.

Several victims said Hoffa’s abuse didn’t just destroy their lives, but those of many others. Friendships were lost and whole families torn apart by Hoffa’s actions, victims said.

Hoffa took advantage of the trust people had placed in him, the mother of one victim said.

“I thought you were showing her what a dad is supposed to be” because the girl had no father figure of her own, the mother said. “Instead you were grooming her for something that would change her life forever.”

“My molester was supposedly my godfather,” another victim said of Hoffa. He abused her more than 20 years ago, yet many things bring the pain back in an instant even today. She spoke of hearing a certain song that Hoffa used to play in his truck, or seeing someone chew on the end of a cigarette butt the way Hoffa used to.

“My chest gets tight” even when going past the exit ramp to where Hoffa used to live, she told the court.

One woman who was abused by Hoffa two decades ago said that even now, at age 38 and married, men still make her “uncomfortable and scared.”

Victims spoke of how difficult it was to face Hoffa during the trial, but that it was what they had to do to make sure Hoffa would never be able to abuse anyone ever again.

They also spoke of how they gained strength from each other.

One victim read a poem she wrote, of how “united girls will stand tall.”

“We can bring down this monster and put him in a prison cage,” she said. “For now we must stick together arm and arm. Together we will stand strong against this man who has hurt us all.”

“You broke me,” one woman said to Hoffa. But now she is the one free to live her life as she chooses.

“I pray you lie awake at night in that cold, hard bed, paralyzed in fear as you once did to me,” she said.

“You don’t get to write my story, you only get a mention,” the woman told Hoffa. “I will tear out the pages that never should have been written in the first place.”

Hoffa was arrested on the sexual assault charges in March 2018 following a Dauphin County grand jury investigation.

In late 2019 Hoffa’s story took an unexpected turn when Middletown borough voted to get rid of a shed that Hoffa had donated to the borough in 2016 to serve as the town’s official “Santa house.”

Relatives of a young girl who was one of Hoffa’s victims had claimed the girl was re-traumatized every time she saw or was near the house.

No concrete evidence was ever brought forth that any of the abuse had occurred in the structure while it was on Hoffa’s property. The shed had been gutted out since Hoffa donated it to the borough, and bore no physical resemblance to the original structure, Mayor James H. Curry III had said.

Weeks after council decided to get rid of the Santa house, the girl’s mother came before council to try to refute the allegations made by the girl’s relatives concerning the house, saying they were not true.

Council had voted to sell the former Santa house.

The house is still being stored by the borough, Council President Angela Lloyd told the Press & Journal.