PENNSYLVANIA'S #1 WEEKLY NEWSPAPER • locally owned since 1854

From the Vault: News from the Friday, Aug. 8, 1945, edition of the Press & Journal

Posted 7/18/18

Lt. Miles declared dead by War Department

Mr. and Mrs. Fletcher Miles. 225 Ann St., town, were informed by telegram by the War Department a few days ago that their son, Lt. William F. Miles, 25, …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Log in

From the Vault: News from the Friday, Aug. 8, 1945, edition of the Press & Journal


Lt. Miles declared dead by War Department

Mr. and Mrs. Fletcher Miles. 225 Ann St., town, were informed by telegram by the War Department a few days ago that their son, Lt. William F. Miles, 25, captured by the Japanese in the Philippines after the fall of Bataan in April 1942, has been declared dead.

Miles was among the prisoners crowded on a troop ship which was bombed by American planes in Manila Bay on Dec. 15, 1944.

He was called into the service as a reserve officer in July 1941. He attended the Unit Gas Officers Course at Edgewood Arsenal, Maryland, and later was stationed at Savannah, Georgia. He sailed from San Francisco on Nov. 1, 1941, and arrived at Manila, Philippine Islands, on Nov. 20.

He was stationed at Fort McKinley when war broke out. He participated in hard fighting on Bataan with the 31st Infantry. He was reported missing in action May 7, 1942, and a prisoner of war in December 1942. Cards were received from him July 1944, and that was the last the parents had word from him.

Miles was a graduate of the Middletown High School, class of 1936, and also of Penn State College, in 1940, receiving a bachelor of science degree. He was employed as a chemical engineer by Seagrave & Calvert, Louisville, Kentucky, before being called into service.

He is survived by his parents; a brother, Tech. Sgt. James Z. Miles, overseas, and his grandmother, Mrs. Irwin A. Beard, 76, who resides with a daughter, Mrs. Wesley Hoover; 334 S. Catherine St., town.

Livestock hijacking: Farmers warned to be on guard against buyers

Pennsylvania farmers are warned by Miles Horst, secretary of the state Department of Agriculture to be on guard for a new type of beef and hog hijacking which apparently is an outgrowth of the meat shortage.

Horst said that according to reports received within the past few days from farmers who have already been victimized, a man with a truck arrives at a farm posing as a livestock dealer. He gives a name and address, bargains for meat and poultry, promises to send a check the next day by mail, and drives away.

That, according to the reports, is the last the farmer sees of the “dealer” or his livestock.

“This is a racket,” Horst asserted, “and we must have the cooperation of farmers to stop it.

“State laws protect the farmer in that no one is permitted to buy or sell livestock within the commonwealth without a state livestock dealer’s license. Licenses are issued only to legitimate dealers, who are investigated by the Bureau of Animal Industry.

“I therefore caution all farmers who are approached by strangers passing themselves off as livestock dealers, to request that they show a state registration card, which is proof that they are duly licensed by the state to engage in the business.

“Every dealer and every salesman is supplied with a registration card when dealer licenses are issued. If they can’t show a card, sell no livestock, take the license number of the car or truck, and report at once to the Bureau of Animal Industry at Harrisburg.”

Woman bitten on both arms by a pet monkey

Mrs. Sarah Conrad, 442 Spruce St., town, was badly bitten on both arms last Wednesday evening in her home by a pet monkey.

On her right arm an artery was almost severed and bled profusely. It was necessary for the woman to have medical treatment.

The monkey, a female, was 3 years old, and was caught in Brazil and sent from Ireland by a son-in-law, gunner’s mate first class Grover Parker, who is with the U.S. Navy.

It was said the monkey had grown sharp teeth above and below that looked like “fangs.” It became a pet in the Conrad home and often, it was said, the monkey, on a chain leash, was allowed to roam about the yard.

After the above incident occurred, the monkey was shot and buried.

$20,000 fire on Henry Shadle farm two miles east of Colonial Park; house had been burned Jan. 25

Damage estimated at $20,000 was caused Monday night by fire which broke out on the 150-acre farm of Henry Shadle, located about 2 miles east of Colonial Park and south of U. S. 22.

The fire, which was discovered at about 9 p.m., is believed to have been caused by spontaneous combustion.

This was the second serious fire on the Shadle property this year. The family home was destroyed by fire Jan. 25. Since then Shadle, his wife and children have been living in a makeshift home in a small building on the farm.

He said Monday night’s loss is covered by insurance.

The flames, which spread rapidly, destroyed a two-story barn, which was filled with crops and farm equipment, an adjacent shed and a garage.

Headlines from the edition

• Plan formation of central Boy Scout committee here

• War Ration Book V will be distributed Dec. 3-15

• Woman gives old newspaper to Hershey museum

Hot buys

• White Spar-Lux high-grade house pain, $3.45 a gallon. Cup grease, high melting point, 1 pound for 10 cents. E.B. Smith Hardware, 22 E. Main St., Hummelstown.

• Sunday afternoon and evening, Aug. 5 at Indian Echo Cave Park: five big acts. The South Mountain Rangers, Tumbleweed Ludy, George Demoth and Company, King Kimo Kilani, and the Indian Echo Cave Gang. 37 cents plus 8 cents tax. Children under 10 free.

• Leisure coats, all in two color combinations, $16.10 to $18.50. Young men’s models, all with gabardine fronts, $12.35. Melman’s, South Union Street.