PENNSYLVANIA'S #1 WEEKLY NEWSPAPER • locally owned since 1854

Details released about second Pennsylvanian who died from coronavirus; they were in their late 60s


The second Pennsylvanian who died of the coronavirus was a resident of Clairton who was in their late 60s, the mayor of the borough said via Facebook.

Mayor Rich Lattanzi posted on Facebook on Saturday the following: “At this time as a mayor and a human being and with the sadness from my council and city administration, we were made aware that a resident of Clairton has passed away from the COVID-19 virus that has plagued our nation and found our city. Prayers from all of us from City Hall and condolences to the entire family. May you find peace and love from our community. Asking our City of Prayer to respect this family's privacy and please take every precautionary actions to protect yourself, your family and neighbors.”

They had been hospitalized in acute care, according to Allegheny County Executive Rich Fitzgerald.

Clairton is known as the City of Prayer, according to its website. It has a population of about 8,500, and it is located about 15 miles south of Pittsburgh along the Monongahela River. It is less than 10 minutes from Kennywood Park.

Lattanzi declined to give any more personal information about the patient out of respect for their family, and urged the residents of Clairton not to panic, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Allegheny County had 31 cases as of Saturday, according to the Pennsylvania Department of Health. The Allegheny County Health Department posted on its Facebook page on Sunday morning that it now has 40 confirmed cases.

The first announced death from COVID-19 in the state was announced Wednesday. It was a man from Northampton County whose mother and sister also passed away from the coronavirus in New Jersey — Carmine Fusco, 55.

PennLive reported that Dr. LuAnn Brink, Allegheny County Health Department’s chief epidemiologist, said that tracing the contacts of the person who died had already been completed, and that everyone believed to have been in contact with the deceased patient have been put under quarantine.