TESTING FOR THE POSITION OF SERGEANT
The Highspire Civil Service Commission has authorized an examination for the establishment of an eligibility list, for the position of Sergeant. The following qualifications must be met, under the Civil Service Rules to be eligible for consideration:
In addition to satisfying the requirements for entry-level appointment contained in Section 305, all applicants for a promotional position, except the position of the chief of police, shall have not been suspended without pay for more than five (5) days in the three (3) years prior to the deadline for submitting applications. Any suspension to which the applicant has timely appealed pursuant to a contractual grievance procedure or these rules shall be disregarded unless the appeal is resolved prior to the creation of the eligibility list.
b. All applicants shall have continuous prior service as a full time police officer with the police department as follows:
(1) An applicant for the position of Sergeant shall have a minimum of four (4) years of service with the police department; and
(2) An applicant for the position of Sergeant shall have satisfactorily completed their in-service training program for police officers and have graduated from a recognized police school; and
(3) An applicant for the position of Sergeant shall have demonstrated an ability to carry out orders from superiors; and
(4) An applicant for the position of Sergeant shall demonstrate a working knowledge of police science and administration, and other areas of law enforcement; and
(5) An applicant for the position of Sergeant shall demonstrate an ability to deliver and supervise the work of subordinates; and
(6) An applicant for the position of Sergeant shall have received at least a grade of "satisfactory" on the latest service rating; provided that an evaluation of the experience, training, general background, and such other records of performance of the applicant, at the discretion of the Commission, may be substituted for the service rating.
If you meet these qualifications and wish to be examined for the Sergeant’s position, you must complete and return the attached two-page form, “Requirements, Duties & Responsibilities of the Sergeant.” Once completed, return the form to the Chief of Police or the Assistant Borough Secretary Deanna Proctor no later than 1500 hrs. on May 10, 2018.
A completed form shall include initials on page one and a signature and date on page two. The written examination will be held at the Highspire Borough Building, 640 Eshelman St. Monday, May 14, 2018, at 1:00 p.m.