PENNSYLVANIA'S #1 WEEKLY NEWSPAPER • locally owned since 1854

If you are a Reid Elementary family, stop using these nightlights given out last year immediately

By David Barr, davidbarr@pressandjournal.com
Posted 3/31/17

Nightlights distributed to Reid Elementary School second-, third- and fifth-graders last fall are being recalled as they are potential smoking and fire hazards; their use should be stopped …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Log in

If you are a Reid Elementary family, stop using these nightlights given out last year immediately

Posted

Nightlights distributed to Reid Elementary School second-, third- and fifth-graders last fall are being recalled as they are potential smoking and fire hazards; their use should be stopped immediately, according to the Middletown Area School District.

PP&L gave them away through its Think! Energy program. Energy-efficiency contractor Ecova distributed the lights for PPL, according to the Upper Allen Township Fire Department. Customers with questions about the nightlight can call Ecova at 877-486-9204.

According to an announcement on the Middletown Area School District’s website, the nightlights were given to students last fall during an energy presentation program.

District spokeswoman Jody Zorbaugh said she did not know how many kits were given to students.

The Upper Allen Township Fire Department on its Facebook page attributed a March 31 fire in the 100 block of Conway Drive to such a nightlight.

According to PP&L’s website, four complaints have been raised. Three came after the light started to smoke after being plugged in for several hours, and one came after the light caught fire, causing damage to a ceramic tile.

Also on the site, PP&L said Ecova, distributed the same kits given to students to customers who filled out an online home energy assessment. In total, about 24,500 kits were given out in schools, and another 5,000 kits were sent out to customers since February 2017.

PP&L and Ecova are investigating.

“We have no reports of injuries or significant damage from these lights, but out of an abundance of caution, we are asking anyone who received one from PPL to stop using it immediately,” Chris Cardenas, PPL customer services vice president, said in a press release. “We are reaching out now to customers and schools and will provide ways to return the lights.”