Written by Eric Wise
Anne Shambaugh will end her employment as Lower Swatara Township manager Sept. 30, exactly 10 months after her hire by the township.
The township commissioners voted Wednesday, Sept. 21, to accept the resignation of Shambaugh, who started as township manager December 1, 2015, one day after commissioners Tom Mehaffie and Jon Wilt presented previous manager Sam Monticello with a letter ending his employment.
In accepting Shambaugh’s resignation, Mehaffie thanked her and praised her efforts that made a positive impact on the township.
“I had a fantastic time,” Shambaugh said at the meeting when her resignation was discussed. “I want to thank the commissioners for allowing me to work with the township and residents.”
Shambaugh had been appointed with a salary of $92,000, according to the terms of employment in a letter dated Nov. 17, 2015. The same letter specified that Shambaugh would be reviewed by the board of commissioners by March 31 and September (30), 2016.
The commissioners temporarily had named Shambaugh the interim manager following Monticello’s dismissal. Three weeks after his last day, Monticello agreed to “resign” to accept the severance package offered by the township.
Asked about her reasons for resigning and future plans, Shambaugh said, “I will take some time off and look at my options.”
Shambaugh left her post as borough manager in Camp Hill to take the Lower Swatara job. She worked for the borough since 2005, serving as manager from January 2014 to November 2015.
Shambaugh follows Monticello and Harry Krot, two managers who each served the township for less than two years. Following Krot’s resignation, the manager job was vacant for about a year.
The board has not yet announced its plans for filling the position.
Last Updated on Thursday, 22 September 2016 13:03
Written by Dan Miller
If at first you don’t succeed, try try again — or sell the business and get new management, as in the case of Black Horse Tavern at North Pine and East Main streets in Middletown.
After just six months or so in business, the partnership that bought the old Lamp Post Inn and spent at least another $250,000 in renovations has turned it over to new owners.
Last Updated on Tuesday, 20 September 2016 15:42
The Kiwanis Club of Middletown’s 63nd annual Halloween Parade for 2016 will be held on Monday, Oct. 17, with the rain date of Tuesday, Oct. 18.
The parade will start forming at 6:15 p.m. The bands and performing groups will assemble at Fink Elementary School. All fire and emergency equipment needs to enter Hoffer Park from Mill Street, where they will line up. Floats will line up on both sides of Mill Street from the Grubb Street Bridge to Hoffer Park.
Walking participants will form into categories between East Emaus and Mill streets on both sides of Race Street. Radio stations will line up between East Emaus and Mill Streets on the Hoffer Park side of Race Street as space allows. There will be no vehicle parking allowed in Hoffer Park. Race Street at Emaus, going south, will be closed to traffic at 6 p.m.
At 7 p.m., the parade route will proceed north on Race Street, left onto Water Street heading west, then left onto Pine Street heading south. The parade will officially begin at the intersection of Race and Conewago streets, where the bands and performing groups will be forming into the parade.
The parade will disperse at Brown Street. The judges’ stand will be set up on the lower end of Pine Street behind the M&T Drive-Thru.
Registration information and forms are available only online at www.kiwanisclubofmiddletown.com. Registration will close at 11:59 p.m. Monday, Oct. 3. Advance registration is required to be part of the parade; however, prizes are awarded only to those who are allowed to use the Competition Registration Form. There is a sheet of Safety Concerns and Policies participants must sign electronically and send back with the registration to receive a parade permit number.
Kiwanis has contracted one “Exclusive Merchandise Vendor” to sell merchandise and novelties from a limited number of carts. Vendor carts will have special large signs provided by Kiwanis permitting them to sell and visibly displayed on the carts. The public is asked to not purchase from those not having official Kiwanis signs.
Last Updated on Friday, 14 October 2016 15:19
Last Updated on Saturday, 30 July 2016 08:31
Middletown Police arrested and charged a Baltimore man in connection with a burglary and attempted burglary of two homes on the north side of Middletown.
Michael C. Diehl, 22, has been charged with burglary for his role in the break-in Fri., June 17 of a home in the 1000 block of Plane St. An HP laptop computer and an iPad with an estimated valued of more than $1,000 were reported stolen from the residence.
Police also charged Diehl with criminal attempt burglary for an attempted burglary of another home located in the 1000 block of Cypress Street.
Diehl has also been charged with two unrelated drug offenses, intentional possession of a controlled substance by person not registered, use/possession of drug paraphernalia and false identification to law enforcement officer, police said.
“An alert citizen provided real-time information to the 911 center of the location of the suspect and another male that led to their detention and investigation early Wednesday morning (June 22),” said Middletown Police Chief John Bey. “She recognized the one male from an alert provided during a neighborhood canvas by patrol officers, and called immediately. Information developed by interviewing these suspects led police to a residence in the 1100 Block of Cypress Street, where a search warrant was served on the residence and police recovered numerous items of stolen property.”
Bey said police were further assisted in their investigation after viewing a video provided by a neighbor. Bey said the home surveillance tape showed Diehl attempting to break into the Cypress St. home on June 17.
Diehl was arraigned June 22 before District Judge Raymond Shugars and held at Dauphin County Prison in lieu of $75,000 bail.
A preliminary hearing is scheduled for Friday, July 1, at 9 a.m. before District Judge David Judy in Royalton.
Bey said the accused had been staying at a residence in the 1100 block of Cypress St.
“This is a fine example of the ability of alert citizens helping police to bring a successful conclusion to a crime spree in their neighborhood,” Bey said. “The Middletown Police Department thanks all those who helped with this case and provided tips that we diligently followed up on.”
Last Updated on Thursday, 23 June 2016 13:43