Last Updated on Tuesday, 07 October 2014 21:32
Written by Dan Miller
Middletown Night Out has blossomed into a popular community event – and borough officials honored those who worked to make it a success on Monday, Oct.6.
Middletown Borough Council and Mayor James H. Curry III recognized volunteers, participants and sponsors who staged the Night Out event during a council meeting at the MCSO Building. Officer Gary Rux of the Middletown Police Department, who supervised the work to create the event, also was honored.
Middletown Night Out attracted a large crowd at two locations – Hoffer Park and Oak Hill Park, bringing neighbors together and allowing residents to meet the police officers, firefighters and ambulance personnel who serve them.
Last Updated on Tuesday, 07 October 2014 20:54
’Tis the season to be scary! There are plenty of Halloween celebrations to keep local ghouls and goblins busy. Here’s a list!
• MIDDLETOWN’S TRICK-OR-TREAT will be held from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 30.
• TRICK-OR-TREAT will be held from 6 to 8 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 30 in LOWER SWATARA TWP., ROYALTON, LONDONDERRY TWP., HIGHSPIRE, HUMMELSTOWN and STEELTON.
• A TRICK-OR-TREAT PARTY will be held from 6 to 8:30 p.m. on Thusday, Oct. 30 at the Prince Edwin – Spring Creek Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons, 131 W. Emaus St., Midddletown. Candy will be given to children, and hot dogs and sodas, as well as tours of the lodge, will be given to everyone.
• “THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW,’’ Friday, Oct. 24 and Saturday, Oct. 25 at the Elks Theatre.
• TRUNK-OR-TREAT at New Thing – A United Methodist Community, 4 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 25 at the church, 2285 W. Harrisburg Pike.
• TRUNK-OR-TREAT at Middletown First Church of God, 6 to 8 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 25 at the church, 245 W. High St., Middletown.
• COSTUME 5K AND 1 MILE FUN RUN/WALK, 1 to 4 p.m. on Sunday, Oct. 26 at Penn State Harrisburg. Fee is $15 to participate in the 5K and $5 to participate in the 1 mile fun run/walk. Children under the age of 10 can participate for free. Proceeds benefit clubs and teams at Penn State Harrisburg. For more information, visit https://harrisburg.psu.edu/webform/costume-5k-and-fun-walk.
• HOWL-OWEEN, the season-ending celebration of the Middletown Public Library's free "Tales with TAILS'' reading program for children, 6 p.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 28 at the library, 20 N. Catherine St., Middletown. Dogs and cats from the American Red Cross service dogs and cats program will be dressed in costume – and kids and their family are encouraged to come in costume as well!
• HAUNTED CABIN, a spooky walk through rooms of a ghoulish cabin presented by Boy Scout Troop 97 of Londonderry Twp., 7 to 9 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 31 and Saturday, Nov. 1 at the Londonderry Scouting Complex, 1831 Felker Road, Londonderry Twp. Admission is free, but donations will be accepted.
Last Updated on Thursday, 23 October 2014 16:05
The Sunset Bar & Grill is appropriately named. First, it’s located at the Sunset Golf Course, the municipal course in Sunset Park owned by Londonderry Twp. Second, the sunsets you can admire while listening to music outdoors on its deck are spectacular.
But outdoor music is about to run its course for the season, as fall and its cooler temperatures take hold.
A crowd of regulars enjoyed one of the last of the outdoor concerts – this time featuring Sunset Grill favorite Jeffrey J. Walker on guitar – on the deck on Thursday, Oct. 2.
See who was there!
Last Updated on Tuesday, 07 October 2014 19:14
What plant did Native Americans use for medicinal purposes and to ward off evil spirits?
What ghost town ruins can be found in Lebanon County?
Last Updated on Tuesday, 30 September 2014 21:01