Press and Journal

Switch to desktop Register Login

The Mystery of the McNair House

fromdistance11 4 15WEBPress And Journal Photo by Jim Lewis - Middletown’s McNair House, the home of a former borough burgess, dates back to at least 1894.

Officials debate its role in downtown renaissance
One Middletown Borough Council member has proposed tearing it down in favor of parking.

But it appears more likely that the so-called McNair House at North Union and East Emaus streets will remain standing – and perhaps even enjoy a starring role in the new borough downtown that is now unfolding as part of the streetscape project.

Not that it was planned that way.

The original intent was to build a large pavilion as part of the streetscape that would have blocked the front of the McNair House from the view of people walking and driving by along Union Street.

For the full story, CLICK HERE to subscribe to the Press And Journal.